Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I can't hear you

The TV is so loud that I can't hear what you are saying. Huh? When the TV is on there is no quiet place in the entire condo. There is no escape. I feel like a Branch Davidian under siege. And make no bones about it, my parents like them some TV so it is constantly on. If a TV is not already on, I sometimes get ambushed. Often, when I power up tiny 19" TV in the small sun room I am blown away by the sound level... left on max from a previous session. Because the condo is in the sticks of southern Jersey, the nearest coffee shop, my sanctuary, is 10 miles away. I go there for the coffee and stay for the silence. The employees know me by name but I can't hear their names. There is a fat guy with a beard and a few teenage girls who work behind the counter. They are all mute.

I'm reading a War and Peace currently, something I've looked forward to for some time. This book is so well written that it is often referred to as the best book ever written. That's amazing. So I'll give you the best recap ever written:

We are introduced to the cast of Russian characters as Russia is defending itself from French attack lead by Napolean. Count Vasily is positioning himself and his family to gain position and cash from the recent death of Count Bulkosky. Jennie Garth just got voted in the bottom two. Rostov goes to the war front and gets his first taste of war... and likes it. But that was a stunning Polka by Mel B and her dress is fantastic. She deserves to be in the final. Prince Andrey is quickly gaining rank, after leaving his pregnant, young wife at home with his ugly sister and stern father. His military expertise is gaining notice and he will soon have audience with the Emporer himself. It takes guts to win this dance contest! Oh my gosh! Marie Osmond just fainted!

So that's how it goes, I think. I'm confused why there are so many dance scenes in the midst of a war, but hey, it's one of the greatest books ever written!

I love a good book.

No comments: